Your guide to Ballarat Costumes to hire, purchase and make yourself! Perfect for Book Week and any fancy dress party!
Ballarat Costume Hire:
- Ballarat Lyric Theatre
- BCMA Costume Hire
- BLOC Music Theatre
- Central Dance Supplies
- Getcha Gear On Costume Store
- Grandma’s Wardrobe
Ballarat Costume Buy:
- Best & Less (Bridge Mall)
- Betta Bargains (Bridge Mall)
- Big W, Curtis St Ballarat Central
- DEJ’s Party Shop
- Kmart (Delacombe Town Centre / Stockland Wendouree)
- The Reject Shop (Bridge Mall / Stockland Wendouree)
- Spotlight (Wendouree Homemaker Centre – opposite Stockland Wendouree)
- Op Shops! You can find all sorts of amazing things to make your own costumes, even old costumes already made! Wigs, clothes, shoes, accessories.
- Look around your home! Old flower girl dresses, Dad’s wardrobe, the costume box from your dress up parties in your 20s.
- A white nightie or wedding dress could be turned into a fairy dress or a ghost.
- A stripey red & white jumper and red beanie for Where’s Wally?
- Make a mask from cardboard and string? Masks can be the centrepiece for any character! A monster, a fox, any animal, and then it’s a matter of some plain coloured clothes to match. Spotlight, Lincraft, Big W, Reject Shop, Kmart, Riot Art & Craft – lots of places will have supplies.
- Capes for super heros can be made from sheets or a small piece of material – Spotlight / Lincraft / Op Shops often have material scraps & pieces.
- Cardboard boxes are great for painting into robots, tin man, cars, rocket ships and more. You can get boxes at Bunnings.
- Streamers make for great costumes. Under the sea, grug, etc. Any party shop or discount store will have some.
- Cardboard cut outs can be turned into shapes to hang around the torso, such as hungry caterpillar, Christmas tree, ambulance, Mr Men, The golden ticket from Willy Wonka, The Card of Hearts from Alice etc.
Big thanks to Kim for these great photos & DIY suggestions!