We asked our readers, where they would go on a Ballarat Day Trip? These are their recommendations!
- Mt Cole – As magnificent as the Grampians, but only half the distance. Stop in for a coffee & muffin at Sparrows Cafe along the Way
- Blackwood – Highly recommend a little visit down to Blackwood to the gorgeous gardens at “St Erth”. Great for a picnic with the kids and an explore, theres also a cafe, Diggers nursery and giftshop.
- Great Ocean Road – famous the world around and lots of towns to visit, lookouts along the way and take a dip in the ocean.
- Tuki Trout Farm – it’s not anywhere as gross as it sounds (quoted from one of our readers). Beautiful scenery, magnificent wedding venues.
- Pykes Creek Resevoir – between Ballan and Myrniong with picnic and play areas and you can swim, ski or fish.
- Bacchus Marsh – Along the Avenue of Honour you can stock up on local farm gate produce and farms where you can pick your own fruit, or go op-shopping. Apparently they are renowned for their big op shops if that’s your thing.
- Bacchus Hills Winery – Bacchus March. Great food…outdoor pizza oven. Very family friendly. Great outdoor area for children to run around and play. No playground but children can make their own fun. Would be a good area to set up a treasure hunt. We did shared pizzas but you can order individual meals too.
- Provedore, Melbourne Rd (Western Fwy) – Just out of town is the new Provedore Cafe with a great Pizza menu. Beautiful open fire places, local wines and soft drinks, and right next door is the Gold Rush Mini Golf, Amazing Mill Markets and Ozzie Creations store. You could spend a whole afternoon there!
- Maldon – antiques, cafes, old pubs, beautiful shops and parks and historical sites everywhere. Try out the old train rides from Castlemaine to Maldon!
- Wallace – the Wallace Pub is one of the cutest hotels around the outskirts of Ballarat. Kids can play outdoors in the gardens, climb the trees, hide in the shadows, try some bocce and the food and atmosphere is great for the whole family. When you go there…check out the ladies toilets!
- Daylesford – who doesn’t love Daylesford? The shops and cafes are endless, the Hepburn Natural Springs are nearby, the lake and beautiful picnic and camping areas. Old churches, the Sunday Market and just outside the Swiss Mountain Hotel! Stop in for a beverage or a meal. It’s so cute. They do great coffee and cake too.
- Talbot – The Talbot Market is one of the BEST farmer’s markets in the state! The little stores and buildings are beautiful, especially great if you have an avid Instagrammer in the family. And if you want a spooky treat, drive off down the road towards Amherst / Avoca and stop in at the Amherst Cemetery.
- Maryborough – if you go to Talbot, you might as well keep going to Maryborough. It’s about the same distance from Ballarat and Bendigo and it’s like a mini version of each. The train station has been magnificently restored and has a huge playground near by. They have loads of shops and attractions around town. Google it and see what you can find, or just stop in at the Visitor Centre for ideas.
- Lake Burrumbeet – a huge lake for water sports, fishing, camping, walking and more.
- Beaufort – a gorgeous little town with interesting shops, lovely cafes and pretty parks.
Do you have any recommendations for day trips? Email us or leave a comment below and we’ll add it on 🙂
Want to feature your destination or venue on this page? Contact us today!