OP SHOP TO GIFT SHOP … My five tips on creating gifts from op shop finds!
Hello and welcome to another edition of Ballarat OP Shop Diaries! We are well and truly into the year, and heading into ‘Birthday Season’ for me and my family! Which means almost on a weekly basis I have a gift to buy for friends and family.
Buying gifts can not only play havoc with our bank balance, but it can also have devastating effects on our environment. When we consider manufacturing of items, transportation, packaging and those that evidently end up in landfill.
We all love to give and receive gifts, its part of who we are, to exchange generosity and show affection. But in reality a lot of what we receive as gifts ends up at the Op Shop! Whether it be sooner or later. So this must mean there are many fabulous ‘as new’ gifts at the Op Shops – right!?
There sure is! There are many, many things that arrive in unopened boxes, clothing with tags, and items that are still in their original packaging. As well as these ‘unloved’ items that find themselves at the Op Shop … there are many more ‘pre loved’ items, that can be re-created as a fabulous gift. As a mum on a budget, and a passionate Sustainability Advocate, I am only too proud to say that the Op Shops have helped me create many gifts over the years!
Today I wanted to share with you my five best Op Shop Present Hacks;
- There are so many picture / photo frames to be found in op shops … some still in packaging! Select a wooden one in the size that you wish, remove the glass and backing, re-paint the frame in a colour of your choice, I recommend Black or White for a classic and sophisticated look. Reassemble the frame and add a photo or picture (children’s drawings make a great gift for grandparents and will be cherished), wrap in tissue paper or bubble wrap, and finish with some cute decorative wrapping and a bow.
- Books are abundant … so take your time to choose one that is clean and crisp. Ensure there are no handwritten notes or markings inside the front cover. Give the book cover a gentle wipe with a damp cloth, wrap in brown paper and finish with string and lovely little notecard.
- Teapots are a collector’s item for some … but for others they play purely a practical part in the kitchen. Choose a fabulous teapot, ensure it is in perfect condition, and check carefully for chips or marks that cannot be removed. Give the Tea pot a really good soak and clean the inside and out. Purchase some lovely teabags or loose leaf tea from the supermarket to accompany it. Wrap it beautifully in a piece of fabric (which can also be found at the op shop) and finish with a piece of ribbon.
- Mugs and Cups are piled high in op shops … they are screaming for a new home!! So let’s use up some of these quirky and lonely cups and create an incredible ‘mix match’ collection for our next house warming gift! Choose 6 cups that are of similar size and style,e. 6 cups with saucers, 6 colourful patterned mugs. Whatever you choose just make sure you check carefully and ensure they are in excellent condition. Give all the cups a really good soak and clean … then place them into a shoebox filled with tissue paper. Wrap the box in pretty paper and finish with a big bow and gift card.
- Last but not least, create a Basket Hamper! Select a basket … trust me there’ll be plenty to choose from! Now, to fill it … I recommend fruit, as everyone eats fruit (surely) and there’s minimal waste produced. Another option is ingredients to make a vegetable soup with a lovely handwritten recipe. Or perhaps a basket of pantry fillers for that friend who has everything! Either way, choose something that can be used and enjoyed not end up back at the op shop or in landfill!
There you have it, a few ways you can turn the Op Shop into a Gift Shop whenever you like!
Thanks for reading and I hope this inspires your next gift idea!
Don’t forget to take a snap and use the hashtag #ballaratopshopping on social media to showcase your fabulous op shop finds!