The sharing economy is not a new concept, it has been around forever! Video shops, libraries, toy libraries, and you’ve seen in it grow in scale with internet giants like Air BnB and Uber, where people share their property (ie house or car) and others pay for the use of it.
Borrowing and sharing items is something people have always done, but sometimes in our modern society we become obsessed with “buying things” or “having things”, like if it’s not brand new, it’s not good. Or if we often feel as though we will somehow have a better life if we have more “stuff”.
But this “stuff” has a massive impact on our lives, our finances and our environment! We go to work to earn money so we can buy more things, and the more we buy, the more money we need, so we have to go to work more, and we lose our free time. And then in order to build and create the things we buy, the environmental footprint is huge. Think of the energy and resources and money it takes to generate the raw materials, then build the factories, then to manufacture the products, package them, ship them, store them in warehouses, build shops to sell them in, sell them, take them home, use them, and then once we no longer want them anymore….dispose of them.
We’re not saying you should or shouldn’t purchase things for your family that you want or need, but imagine if there was a way to have those things without having to pay for them brand new? And imagine if once we were done with them, we knew that they could go somewhere to be used again by another family, and we could play a part in reducing the waste dumped on our planet? Or, in the case of families who are still adding more tiny humans to the pack, imagine if you could lend your things to someone to use and care for, but who would return them to you when you need them again, instead of having to find storage at a premium or sell them off?
Yes, you can definitely donate your unwanted goods to charity, we encourage that! But what about those items you don’t want to part with yet, or the ones you don’t need right now, but you know you will need again in the future? Sharing is the way to go.
So here at Ballarat Family Guide, we have created a simple forum for local community members to sign up for FREE, and post messages with items they would like to share, or borrow.
All you have to do is follow these simple steps:
- Create an account
- Post your item “To Borrow” or “To Share”
- When you get a reply, please give them your email address so they can contact you directly
- Once they have contacted you via email, you can make all your arrangements in private, it is up to you and the other person if you wish to exchange a deposit, or include any other conditions in the exchange.
- When your exchange is complete please log in and delete your post so that we know it is no longer required, and also to remove your email address from public view.
Some items you might like to share or borrow include:
- Baby & Children’s Furniture (cots, toddler beds, change tables, wardrobes etc)
- Pram, stroller
- Swings, rockers, bouncers
- Baby carriers, wraps
- Cloth nappies, linen
- Nursing pillows, chairs, pumps
- High chairs, potties
- Safety gates, locks etc